Re: general linux questions

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 04:22:06PM +0200, robert_wilhelm_land wrote:
>> When searching for filenames using "locate" and displaying them in
>> the order of their date something like "locate <file> | <sort_them>",
>> (does the database include other parameters than just filenames?)
>
>not sure on this one.

You could try something like:

  locate <file> | xargs ls -dl

... and then work out how to sort the resulting list by date.

>> Then, has someone included java kernel support when compiling the
>> kernel? Is this a reliable feature? It seems to be a great thing
>> because clients do not have to install a jre or jdk when running Java
>> apps?
>
>i think the option you refer to is only binary file support, i think
>you still need the java interpreter.  but i avoid java so i am not
>sure on this.

That's correct; anybody who tries to put a Java interpreter into the
kernel will get shot. :) You need the binfmt_misc module and the
javawrapper utility (linux/Documentation/java.txt, or
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~cjwatson/debian/ for a Debian package
that I haven't managed to make official yet - beware, I haven't tried it
with Java 1.2 either, so it may need updating).