[OT] Win ftp clients speed strangeness

My primary potato box is running the wu-ftpd in stable. I use it
to copy files (mostly backups) to/from the Win boxen on my 100mbit/s
LAN.

Today I needed to copy 3 ~1GB files to the Linux machine.

I started out with BulletProofFTP, which gave me a shocking 400KB/s.
Then WS-FTP LE: 3000KB/s
Then Win2k's horrid cli client: 11500KB/s, which is what it should be.

This difference is consistent, I tried multiple times and in different orders
of programs and files, different files even.  All clients were locked in
binary mode.

Where do these differences come from?
(Until now I've always used the cli clients of Win, they always give me
full speed)
How do I get rid of them?
What do you use as Win FTP client?

Thanks heaps