Re: general linux questions

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 04:22:06PM +0200, robert_wilhelm_land wrote:
> Would someone kindly help in the following questions?
>

> how can I search for filenames which only differ in upper & lowercase
> letters?
> Something in the kind of:
> find <path> -name "syncppp"
> ...but should be able to find "Syncpp" (even if it doesn't exist in
> reality)

find <path> -iname "syncppp"

read the find man page, man find.

> When searching for filenames using "locate" and displaying them in the
> order of their date
> something like "locate <file> | <sort_them>", (does the database
> include other parameters than just filenames?)

not sure on this one.

> can I generaly launch "startx" out of 3 terminals and keep them all up
> at the same time?
> When loading X on terminal 1 and switching out of the X-session by
> "ctrl+meta+Fx" to the next terminal where X has not been yet launched
> - the first X11 session dies.
> Is this a common behaviour?

startx -- :1 vt8
startx -- :2 vt9

will let you start multiple X sessions.  i don't usualy do things like
this though, i have wdm running and sometimes do things like:

X -query localhost :1 vt8

to get a second x based login screen, or more interesting:

X -query dogbert :1 vt8

to get a X based login from remote machine dogbert.  (your at the
mercy of your network security here though, the connection is NOT encrypted)

> Then, has someone included java kernel support when compiling the
> kernel? Is this a reliable feature? It seems to be a great thing
> because clients do not have to install a jre or jdk when running Java
> apps?

i think the option you refer to is only binary file support, i think
you still need the java interpreter.  but i avoid java so i am not
sure on this.

> Last one - how can I save all in- and outputs (eq. sum of all text)
> out of the
> current session in the bash to a file?

script session.log

--