RAM problems

Hi everyone.

I just managed to get "Potato" but it seems that I have a
problem with my RAM.

I currently have 192M installed in my AMD/Athlon 700 Box.
Of course I added the correct line, ie: append="mem=192M"
in lilo.conf and ran /sbin/lilo.

Linux swap partition: >600 MB

Everything was fine, for 2-3 minutes after the command
prompt appeared. cat /proc/meminfo would show me that
indeed 192MB were recognized. X starts just fine, but for
no reason, the system crashes. I then have to violently
reboot my box (I choosed Debian to precisely avoid that!),
and it won't reboot correctly: the disks partitions are
definitely corrupted ie: Repartitioning of the Hard Drive +
re-installation (I know it's not the best way to solve
that).

The strangest thing is that the systems worked just fine
with 192MB installed but without the correct "append" line
in lilo.conf.

Removing 64MB of SDRAM and adding append="mem=128M" in
lilo.conf lead to the same results: system crash.

-Just to be sure, I tried to install a RedHat 6.2 and got
the same problems-

Shall I accuse my SDRAM, or my Mainboard, shall I accuse
Murphy or did I miss something important?

Thanks for your help.
Boîte aux lettres - Caramail - http://www.caramail.com