Re: mounting /home?

"Dale" == Dale Morris <dlm@well.com> writes:

> This is probably embarassingly simple, but I'd better ask.. I'm
> thinking of doing a reinstall of 2.2 and would like to use my
> existing /home directory. That will allow me to keep lots of
> existing info. I tried this once before w/ Redhat but it didn't work
> right after the reinstall.  Do I just do a regular install *not*
> mounting the /home partition? After the install, how do I get the
> /home partion mounted? Can I just copy my /etc/fstab file and /home
> will mount automatically?  thanks

I just installed Debian 2.2 just over a week ago.  I managed to keep
my old /home partition from a previous RH install.  It was actually
pretty easy.

I took note of what partition was already mounted as /home (in my
case, /dev/hda7).  During the partitioning phase of installation,
Debian noted that I had existing ext2 partitions, and gave me the
option to make new partitions or mount the existing ones.  I chose the
options (can't remember the exact wording) that meant make filesystems
on most partitions (I think the phrase was "Initialize"), while
mounting /dev/hda7 as /home (perhaps the phrase was "Activate").

Actually the real sequence of events was a little more complicated
because it involved installing a new hard drive at the same time and
copying the contents of /home to a larger partition, but I'm positive
that it was close enough that the above should work fine.

=wl
--
Albert ``Willy'' Lee, Emacs user, game programmer
"They call me CRAZY - just because I DARE to DREAM of a RACE of