Re: setting memory limits for ssh and xdm logins

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 01:09:40AM -0400, Dan Christensen wrote:

> Ahh, you are right, that solves the xdm problem.  ulimit -v is what I
> wanted.  I missed this because I use tcsh which doesn't seem to have
> an analog of this limit using its built-in limit command.  Is there a
> way to set a limit on virtual memory use within tcsh?

well im making assumptions here, but since Xsession is run with bash
(as i changed it to do) and the limits are set there, they SHOULD
apply to any child processes, including the windowmanager and any
processes it spawns, such as terms and the shells they run.  so even
if tcsh does not have a limit command it should still be subject to
the resource limits in effect by parent processes.  (netscape does not
have a limit command either but is still subject to my limits in
/etc/X11/Xsession)

as for the console, login should set these limits before it runs your
shell via pam_limits.so

> And is there a natural place to put a ulimit -v command for ssh logins?
> Somewhere that can't be overridden by users and which works for users
> who use tcsh?

add

session    required     pam_limits.so

to /etc/pam.d/ssh

this will work with OpenSSH.

pam_limits is shell agnositic since it sets the limits before the
shell is even spawned.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/