Re: setting memory limits for ssh and xdm logins

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 10:36:39PM -0400, Dan Christensen wrote:
> I have put limits in /etc/security/limits.conf to prevent a user from
> bringing down my machine by using up all the memory, and I have
> uncommented the line
>
> session    required   pam_limits.so
>
> in /etc/pam.d/login so that this is read.  When I log in using
> a virtual terminal this works perfectly, but these settings are
> ignored by both ssh and xdm logins.
>
> Moreover, the tcsh limit command and the bash ulimit command are
> also ignored, in all cases.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to set process limits for ssh and xdm logins?

sprinkle ulimit commands in /etc/X11/Xsession

this works for me, though i also changed the first line of that script
to #! /bin/bash --login so the rest of the environment is loaded
correctly if that makes a difference.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/