setting memory limits for ssh and xdm logins

I have put limits in /etc/security/limits.conf to prevent a user from
bringing down my machine by using up all the memory, and I have
uncommented the line

session    required   pam_limits.so

in /etc/pam.d/login so that this is read.  When I log in using
a virtual terminal this works perfectly, but these settings are
ignored by both ssh and xdm logins.

Moreover, the tcsh limit command and the bash ulimit command are
also ignored, in all cases.

Can anyone suggest a way to set process limits for ssh and xdm logins?

Any help appreciated.

Dan

--
Dan Christensen