Re: quick upgrade help needed-kernel image not wanted

Quoting Nate Amsden (aphro@aphroland.org):
> couldn't you just remove the kernel package?

There isn't a "kernel" package. There are packages with names like
kernel-package, kernel-image..., kernel-source..., etc.

> apt-get has never(thankfully) touched my kernel(s). i run home brew
> kernels on every machine i build and its been the same accross all of
> them. dont remember doing anythign special to get apt-get to ignore it.
> and no i dont do it the 'debian way' as i could never figure out how
> that shit works so all the kernels are from ftp.kernel.org.

Well if you don't do it the Debian way, then your kernels don't belong
to the distribution, so why would apt-get touch them?

Telling people just not to use the Debian packaging system is a little
silly in my opinion. You've obviously taken the decision to build your
system is a quite unconventional manner which has its own down side,
but I think it's wise to let people on this list take the Debian advice
that's offered without your trying to subvert it and calling it shit.

Everybody who uses the kernel-package to compile kernels should use
the epoch to avoid the replacement problem.

If they already have a kernel package without it that they need to
use, they should "hold" it.

Cheers,