apt-get/dselect

After having had trouble with finding packages in apt-get and using
dselect and making a few mistakes, I find I've gotten my system a little
out of whack. Everything is working fine, but I mistakenly deleted some
packages with dselect. Just recently I went to use slrn and found it
wasn't there, apt-get wouldn't snag it and I had to use dpkg..
Is there any way to 'sync' the packages so apt-get will work the way it
used to?
I also think there are some problems that evolve with using helix-gnome
packages. I see things available in dselect, gaim for example, but when
I run apt-get it says the newest package is installed.
I've rtfm and done clean and autoclean, any shortcuts?
thanks
--dale