Re: dselect and apt-get

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 02:37:34PM +1000, paul@netwise.net.au wrote:
> I've made heavy use of apt-get to install packages as needed. While this is
> great it does require me to know or find out the package name, or is there a
> better way?

I don't know if this is a better way or not, but I usually just look it up
on the Debian packages site.  I should bookmark the page, I use it so much.

Especially when you don't know what you're looking for (a free replacement for
XV, for instance.  I settled on qiv, but if anyone's got a better choice, I'd
love to hear it!).

> From time to time I drop in to dselect to be able to search and find
> packages, but if I try to select and install from dselect the selections are
> not on par to additions made via apt-get. Is there a way to sync the two, or
> am I just doing things the hard way?

To be honest, after I started getting the hang of apt-get, I never even thought
about dselect again.  It just takes too long to sort through the stuff.

I am far from an expert at this, but this is what I've found works for me.

HTH.
Adam