Re: I broke x

"Michael P. Soulier" wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 08:14:36PM -0700, Nate Amsden wrote:
>
> > quite possible it is something else, i have blocked port 6000 on many
> > machines and have ont had much problems, also i believe(and seeing the
> > error makes me believe more) that X uses unix sockets to communicate
> > making it (as far as running X on a local machine) immune to ipchains
> > rules.
>
>     So would it make use of TCP sockets for remote communication? As in
> running a program remotely and directing the display to your local X server?

remote is different, remote would use TCP port 6000 (or whichever
display your running) i blocked 6000 mainly because of the well known
XFree "DOS". it would prevent any apps from connecting from remote, but
local apps had no problem..for those that i needed remote apps from i
just added a rule to allow them in.

nate

--
:::