RE: Debian VS. Red Hat

> > and (getting back to the original question of red hat vs. debian)
> > does red-hat have anything comparable?
>
> The big difference, AFAIK, is that Debian store a lot more packages.
> With Redhat, you can get the base install (that comes with the CD),
> but for the rest, you would have to go for third-party sources.

The largest difference I know of is the dependency resolution.  Maybe Redhat
will do this as well.  It's pretty neat when I request a package and end up
getting 3 dependant packages without having to individually request them.
The auto download by itself is very nice.

Another major difference between Redhat and Debian is this list.  There are
some very sharp cookies here who don't mind hanging around even though they
end up answering a lot more questions than they ask.  I don't know if Redhat
has anything comparable.

BTW.  It's remarkable how similar in functionality windows update is to
debian's apt-get.  It is more twinkified (which isn't always bad ...) but
functionally very similar.  It is, of course, limited to Microsoft products.
If they were smart, they offer developers support for their packages at the
microsoft site.  ($$$).  Debian already offers this.  I think this sort of
updating will quickly become as expected as products as shipping on CD.  At
least I hope it does!

OK, Rambling over!