Re: Debian VS. Red Hat

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 02:41:57AM -0400, Paul McHale wrote:

> The largest difference I know of is the dependency resolution.  Maybe Redhat
> will do this as well.

Well, I don't know how dpkg works yet, but rpm is limited by what
the author wants. Sometimes it give really frustrating depencies messsages,
like saying you missing libxxxedo.so.1. Of course, you don't know
which package libxxxedo.so.1 is in, or where to get it because the doc,
in most OSS, is non-existent or very bad.

This happaned to me during installation of gnucash. I could never
get it installed because a) I was missing some key libraries, b)
I had no idea where they where, c) if I knew, I was unable to compile them
for one reason or another.

> It's pretty neat when I request a package and end up
> getting 3 dependant packages without having to individually request them.
> The auto download by itself is very nice.

I think gnorpm and kpackage does it too, but I'm not sure, since I usually
do stuff by hand (CLI).

--
email: john@fjellstad.org                   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes