Re: Debian VS. Red Hat

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 12:05:32PM -0500, Wayne Sitton wrote:
> OK guys, I think you've gotten off the subject that I needed.  Although
> what you have given me is great, what I need now is kind of like stories
> of thing that have happened to show why Debian would be better.  Or,
> even links to stories about the benefits of Debian over Red Hat.

Well, if you just want anecdotal evidence that Debian is better than RedHat,
why not just make it up?  Or better yet, just have someone write
up a glowing review of Debian on linux.com or slashdot?

I always found this kind of zealotry interesting.

Preface: I've used RedHat for over 4 years.  Just installed Debian
last month, and I'm really happy with it.

My take on the issue: Linux is Linux and GNU is GNU.

I really don't think you can say one distribution of Linux is more
secure/stable than another (better is kinda subjective, IMO).
Since all distribution uses OSS, a bugfix in one package should
find its way into the other distributions pretty quickly (otherwise,
the whole idea of OS is a piece of crock).

Ask a RedHat user which distribution s/he prefers, and s/he will say
RedHat. Same with Debian or Slackware or a dusin other distribution.

Besides, does a story about greatness of distribution read on a website
or email really make a difference?  My reading about how great
Slackware is, didn't make me want to switch to it.  Frustration with
RedHat packagemanagement made me turn away from it, but I tested
Debian for a month before I installed it on my main system
(installed and reinstalled about three times a week, to get a feel
for the system).

Now, for something positive.  The one thing that really makes me
excited about Debian is the packagemanagent system. Yes,
dselect has a userinterface from heck, but you can avoid it
(just install the base system during installation). Quite frankly,
dpkg is so great, I really don't understand why Linux users
aren't pushing it harder. It is leaps and bounds better than the
competition (rpm).  There are no reason, except for political,
for not using dpkg in all the distributions out there.

That said, Linux is still Linux, and one distribution is as good
as the next, IMO.

--
email: john@fjellstad.org                   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes