Re: DHCP client setup for @Home

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 11:30:13AM -0500, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> dhclient (that's the name of the executable in the dhcp-client package) is
> the best (imo) dhcp client for unix-type systems.  That would explain why
> NetBSD, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD use dhclient in their bootup sequence when
> you select "automatic interface configuration" (or something like that).

How about dhcpcd?

**--**--**
Package: dhcpcd
Section: net
Installed-Size: 102
Maintainer: Dennis Kelly <dpk@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1:1.3.17pl2-8
Replaces: dhcpcd-sv
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2)
Conflicts: dhcpcd-sv
Filename: dists/stable/main/binary-i386/net/dhcpcd_1.3.17pl2-8.deb
Size: 37178
MD5sum: c843acf777bf739206ccfca1769de412
 This package contains both the 0.70 and 1.3.x version of dhcpcd and
 should work with any Linux kernel.
**--**--**

Thing is, I am having trouble with getting my cable connection working.

I can use "dhcpcd eth0" to get connected. I get an IP address, my
default route gets set, and my /etc/resolv.conf is changed.
So far so good, all *seems* well.

Now, what I can do is ping the default gateway, but not the DHCP server.
Also, I cannot resolve DNS names.

Can anyone judge to say what *could* be the problem? Thing is exactly
the same situation occurs under WinDos. (Them stupid support folks first
told me to use WinDos instead of Linux - they don't support Linux!)

Anyway, I am waiting for the cable company to respond / fix the problems.
My guess is that their network is somewhat fsck'ed.

> You weren't doing anything wrong.  pump simply doesn't work very well.

Has anyone ever had any problems when using dhcpcd instead of dhclient?
I never tried dhclient.

Thanks
Sven
--
The program required me to install Windows 95 or better ...
	... so I installed Linux.