Re: 'init s' froze keyboard forcing cold reboot

THUS SPAKE Miquel van Smoorenburg, on Sep 2:

> In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.10.10009021246220.28754-100000@dojo.tao.ca>,
> Geordie Birch  <geordie@tao.ca> wrote:
> >	I was experimenting with changing runlevels and exec'd 'telinit'
> >from an non-login bash in xterm.  When I used a number as an argument
> >nothing happened. I used 's' and the keyboard froze.
>
> You are not supposed to use 'init s' manually, and certainly not
> if you have no idea what the command does.
>
> If you want to go to single user mode use 'init 1' or 'shutdown now'
>
> >	Does the init/x combination normally behave this way?
>
> Possibly. All kinds of weird things can happen if you do 'init s'
> manually.
>
> Mike.

OK.  No manual 'init s'.  (I should say that this installation of debian
2.2 is non-critical to any application other than furthering my own
understanding of linux/unix systems, debian, and computer's in general.
The box it is on is a PII 300mhz 64 m ram 6 g hd that was being used as
a hotmail terminal.)

However I was able to duplicate the keyboard freezing by: 'init 1' from
within x,  'init 5' from console, manually starting x ( as /etc/rc5.d/
contains K99xdm),  becoming root and exec'ing 'init 2'.

_____

Geordie Birch      DOW Vancouver      http://vancouver.tao.ca

"The number of Unix installations has increased to sixteen, with more
expected."