Re: 'init s' froze keyboard forcing cold reboot

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.10.10009021246220.28754-100000@dojo.tao.ca>,
Geordie Birch  <geordie@tao.ca> wrote:
>	I was experimenting with changing runlevels and exec'd 'telinit'
>from an non-login bash in xterm.  When I used a number as an argument
>nothing happened. I used 's' and the keyboard froze.

You are not supposed to use 'init s' manually, and certainly not
if you have no idea what the command does.

If you want to go to single user mode use 'init 1' or 'shutdown now'

>	Does the init/x combination normally behave this way?

Possibly. All kinds of weird things can happen if you do 'init s'
manually.

Mike.