'init s' froze keyboard forcing cold reboot

	I was experimenting with changing runlevels and exec'd 'telinit'
from an non-login bash in xterm.  When I used a number as an argument
nothing happened. I used 's' and the keyboard froze.  Fvwm and everything
beneath it still functioned normally;  I could start processes from the
menu and everything I tried worked.  Processes such as xman that used
mouse input worked fine. I was able to cut and paste letters to form
the word 'halt' in the open root xterm, but had no way to return the
carriage.  I even tried flying into /dev/null with xcruise (I was unable
to find it, maybe it would have worked.)  Ending the fvwm session didn't
help.  I eventually switched the power off.  Did the whole thing again.
Same result.

	When logged on to a console I switched to single-user mode, but it
had no effect on my already logged in x session.

	Does the init/x combination normally behave this way?

_____

Geordie Birch      Dow Vancouver      http://vancouver.tao.ca

"Belief is the death of intelligence"        http://tao.ca