how to run pppd as a user?

Hi!

I've just (yesterday) migrated from Mandrake to Debian 2.2 -
so please bear with me, I'm trying to learn! It was, by the way,
the smoothest install ever.

What I want to discover fairly quickly is how to use pppd when
I'm a user and not root.  At the moment I'm using wvdial (or pon
poff)  as root to log on to my ISP  and then zipping over to another
console to do what must be done on the net - mostly mail.

I don't like this! and don't like the thought of running pppd
suid, but need a quick fix as the post keeps coming..  Can anyone
tell me how or point me to the right docs?  I added myself to the
dialup group but that doesn't seem to have done the business.

Thanks in anticipation

Glyn M.

       * "The soul is greater than the hum of its parts. "  *
       *                 Douglas Hoftstatder                *