Re: Linksys LNE100TX ethernet lan card

> Gentlemen:
>    I installed the LNE100TX card for adsl service, it's a pnp device
> which says it works with linux, and I'll bet it does but not for me.
> Anyway, I have run potato for some time, pretty up to date, with a
> 2.2.17pre6 standard kernel. The precompiled tulip.o driver for the
> ethernet card installs, but does not seem to be recognized by dhcp or
> pump. I got a copy of tulip.o compiled for 2.2.16, and force installed it
> and got the same result.

What are the error messages?  It would be nice to know
 * what the driver prints out when it loads
 * any error messages you get

The fact that pump doesn't work isn't an indicator: imo "the dhcp client
pump" and "working" are contradictory.  The dhclient (in the package
dhcp-client) is wonderful, and gives much better diagnosic messages.

Out of curiosity, have you checked with your ISP that all you really need
is an ethernet card and a DHCP client?  Some dsl services use this thing
called PPPoE...

>    The LNE100TX has wake-on-lan feature that I do not have connected,
> nor do I need. The installation disketter contains tulip.c, version 0.91g
> (I think, I'm at work at the moment, might be 0.91k), which they
> recommend using for the wake-on-lan feature. I seem to have no better
> luck with that module.

The version in the kernel is v0.91g-ppc.  Use that one if you can; I've
had trouble with the driver off the floppy.

>    So the long and the short of it is, I'm looking for anyone who might
> have installed this card and gotten it running on a debian box,
> preferably one a whole like mine. The card works fine on W98, altho
> the install there was not without its flaws, but I like to spend the
> majority of my time on linux. Altho I have used debian for several years,
> my knowledge level is "learn on the go" so I might be overlooking some-
> thing very obvious.

Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien