Login with user name in CAPS

Hi list,

I just logged in with my user name accidentelly in CAPS and the system
let me log in.  More suprisingly, everything that is printed on the
terminal is in CAPS, too, including everything I type in lower case.
Escape sequences for colorizing the terminal don't work either.  This
will work with both user accounts and root, but only on the console and
not with su (su reports an unknown user).

Is this a bug or a feature?  Or is it a feature that used to be a bug?

Puzzled,
Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld