Linksys LNE100TX ethernet lan card

Gentlemen:
   I installed the LNE100TX card for adsl service, it's a pnp device
which says it works with linux, and I'll bet it does but not for me.
Anyway, I have run potato for some time, pretty up to date, with a
2.2.17pre6 standard kernel. The precompiled tulip.o driver for the
ethernet card installs, but does not seem to be recognized by dhcp or
pump. I got a copy of tulip.o compiled for 2.2.16, and force installed it
and got the same result.
   The LNE100TX has wake-on-lan feature that I do not have connected,
nor do I need. The installation disketter contains tulip.c, version 0.91g
(I think, I'm at work at the moment, might be 0.91k), which they
recommend using for the wake-on-lan feature. I seem to have no better
luck with that module.
   So the long and the short of it is, I'm looking for anyone who might
have installed this card and gotten it running on a debian box,
preferably one a whole like mine. The card works fine on W98, altho
the install there was not without its flaws, but I like to spend the
majority of my time on linux. Altho I have used debian for several years,
my knowledge level is "learn on the go" so I might be overlooking some-
thing very obvious.
   Thanks for any help.

Gary