Re: Star Office

    > I need to read a MS Word document.  Are there any other
    > software in Debian for viewing a MS Word doc?.

Catdoc may help.

Mike

P.S.  It's partner, xls2csv, is also very handy for extracting
fields from excel files.

> dpkg --status catdoc
Package: catdoc
 This program extracts text from MS-Word files, trying to preserve
 as many special printable characters as possible. catdoc supports
 everything up to Word-97.
 .
 It doesn't even try to preserve fancy Word formatting, because
 Word users usually don't care about document structure, and it is
 this very thing which is important to LaTeX users.
 .
 Also provided is xls2csv, which extracts data from Excel spreadsheets
 and outputs it in comma-separated-value format.
 .
 This package suggests 'wish' because it also includes wordview, an
 optional Tk-based GUI for catdoc.  The MIME config provided in this
 package will use wordview is X is running, or catdoc directly if it
 is not.