Re: Linux Mail Client (was: Re: Web browsers for Linux (was: Re: Netscape Bus Error))

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 10:00:54AM -0400, David Zoll wrote:
> OK, I've gone and looked at the websites for those two products.  I
> can't really test either effectively in the real world since:
>   * both cost money I'm not willing to spend on this, and;

    The Bat! has a 30 day trial period, PMMail has a 45-day trial period.  One
need not spend money to try them out.  You can say that of, oh, Eudroa Pro,
but not those two.

>   * neither appears to support IMAP, so I'd have to completly redo how I
> manage mail just to evaluate the products;

    PMMail does not, TB! does.  However, given that there hasn't been a decent
client for IMAP yet that isn't much of a concern nor does that prevent you
from downloading them and playing with them in a sandbox account to see how
they do things.

>   * Both use filters heavily, so I am officially confused as to what
> your problem with filtering is

    Notice that filtering comes after the separation of the accounts, not as
part of the process of separating the accounts.  Simply stated, if you didn't
filter the mail the incoming mail on each account would be separate as the
default behavior instead of jumbled together.  Also all outgoing mail is kept
separate as the default.  All settings are separate as a default.

>   * PMMail in particular shows mailboxes organized exactly the way I was
> suggesting

    But does that as default instead of having to be arm-twisted into it.
Hmm, and they decided to change the home page on me.  Hate it when they do
that.

>   * Both look easier to configure than what I was suggesting

    O-bing.

>   * Both look less powerful and feature-rich than what I was suggesting

    I don't see it that way.