Re: Linux Mail Client (was: Re: Web browsers for Linux (was: Re: Netscape Bus Error))

Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 11:41:17AM -0400, Brendan Cully wrote:
> > But you probably don't care about that. What I've learned from this
> > long and silly thread is there are plenty of ways to receive mail from
> > several accounts and keep them separated, but none that you like. Too
> > bad.
>
>     Great attitude there, "Too bad."

OK, you want mail from separate accounts to be collected into separate
locations in one account, each with their own set of subfolders, and a
mail client which can understand this, and send outgoing mail
appropriately for the account whose mail it's looking at, potentially
changing everything from the signature file to the mail server.  How
does the following sound:
  1) Fetchmail, which will grab the mail from separate accounts, and
stuff it through...
  2) A MTA, any MTA.  I use exim, which will happily stuff the mails
through...
  3) Procmail, which will easily organize your email into whatever
structure you see fit, with plenty of folders and subfolders for...
  4) Mutt, which can either be set up with an bunch of folder-hook
commands to change your settings based on which account's email you are
looking at, or with a different muttrc for each account and run with
"mutt -M ~/.muttrc-<account>", depending on how you want to use it.  Use
aliases to keep the command lines easy to remember and type.

The only downside I see with the above is it's a bear to configure
initially.  It should be a SMOP to write a script or a GUI druid to
automate such configurations.

If this isn't enough power for you, what more do you want?  There's
probably a solution, but you have to be specific as to your needs.  If
you can't express what you want, "Too bad" is all that can really be
said without you paying someone.

-Gleef