Re: Linux Mail Client

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 05:05:56PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 08:44:08PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> > ;-) .  Having used Outlook, which seems to be the example people are
> > quoting of something that supports this I actually prefer the separate

>     *cough*  I have stated two clients constantly.  PMMail and The Bat!.

I've never used either of those.  How do they look from a user interface
point of view?  I'm thinking of things like starting a new mail and
deciding which personality it's going to use.

> Outlook has the dubious distiction of having the best IMAP implementation thus
> far but i does the same thing as what people who tell me use fetchmail does.
> Dumps everything into a single location and has it up to you to figure out.
> Same with Pegasus and Eudora.  All three are just as unacceptable.

Outlook lets you leave your mail on the IMAP server (that's how I've
got it set up, anyway) and claims to let you select your e-mail address
on a per-server basis.  It doesn't seem to have variable store for sent
items, though.

> > I guess Evolution might do what you want - it seems aimed fairly
> > squarely at being an Outlook clone, although it's obviously not ready
> > yet.

>     Nope, it is unacceptable because it doesn't have separate mail accounts,
> just personalities on a single account.

It's still in the early stages yet - give it time.

[mutt with hooks]
>     I could get a close approximation, yes.  In doing so expend 3-4 more times
> work to get something "close" to ideal.  That is not acceptable in my eyes
> from a usability perspective.  Mutt is the unix of mail clients.  Kick ass
> power and flexibility, total lack of simple usability.

You could probably write a script to generate the configuration, but
it's still not ideal.  I'd observe that it's not exactly rocket science
and that the situation you're describing is fairly unusual, at least
in my experience.  Generally, utterly distinct identities are associated
with similiarly distinct physical and/or computing environments and the
problem doesn't really arise.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/