Re: Linux Mail Client (was: Re: Web browsers for Linux (was: Re: Netscape Bus Error))

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 06:33:48PM -0400, David Zoll wrote:
> OK, you want mail from separate accounts to be collected into separate
> locations in one account, each with their own set of subfolders, and a
> mail client which can understand this, and send outgoing mail
> appropriately for the account whose mail it's looking at, potentially
> changing everything from the signature file to the mail server.  How
> does the following sound:

    Of course your falling into the "personailities" mentality.

>   1) Fetchmail, which will grab the mail from separate accounts, and
> stuff it through...

    Requires filtering to separate out accounts which should be separate in
the first place.

>   2) A MTA, any MTA.  I use exim, which will happily stuff the mails
> through...

    And, amazingly enough...

>   3) Procmail, which will easily organize your email into whatever
> structure you see fit, with plenty of folders and subfolders for...

   ...also does filtering, no need for procmail.

>   4) Mutt, which can either be set up with an bunch of folder-hook
> commands to change your settings based on which account's email you are
> looking at, or with a different muttrc for each account and run with
> "mutt -M ~/.muttrc-<account>", depending on how you want to use it.  Use
> aliases to keep the command lines easy to remember and type.

    A bunch of folder hook commands or have to use a separate instance
completely.

    So each time I sign up for a new mailing list on my work account, for
example, I need to:

Add a new filter to my work account set of filters.
Add a folder definition into Mutt just to keep it straight.
Still send mail out my home SMTP server.

    Contrast:
Nothing.

> The only downside I see with the above is it's a bear to configure
> initially.  It should be a SMOP to write a script or a GUI druid to
> automate such configurations.

    It is a bear to configure every time something changes, it doesn't keep it
all separate, COMPLETELY SEPARATE.  That is unacceptable.

> If this isn't enough power for you, what more do you want?  There's
> probably a solution, but you have to be specific as to your needs.  If
> you can't express what you want, "Too bad" is all that can really be
> said without you paying someone.

    I have been specific.  I have even given examples!  PMMail and The Bat!
Screen shots alone for those two products speak volumes!