I am now totally confused about modules

Debian Potato, kernel 2.2.17pre6, KDE

My previous kernel compile was 10th August.  On the 14th August I noticed
the following in the logs:

Aug 14 19:59:29 modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tty-ldisc-3
Aug 14 19:59:39 modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tty-ldisc-3

The following is an extract from my /etc/modutils/aliases file:

alias char-major-10-130	softdog
alias char-major-10-175	agpgart
alias char-major-108	ppp_generic
alias /dev/ppp		ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3	ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14	ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-21	bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24	ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26	ppp_deflate

I don't know what ppp_async does but the error does not seem to affect my
internet access.  The message appears every day until 20th August but does
not appear after that.  I normally access the Internet at least once each
day.

I have also noticed the follow errors in the log when I play a CD:

Aug 22 10:45:56 modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
Aug 22 10:45:56 modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-3

I am using the Emu drivers for my Sound Blaster Live 1024 Player and see the
following in the logs after booting:

Aug 22 10:52:09 kernel: Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.6,
10:37:10 Aug 22 2000
Aug 22 10:52:09 kernel: emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 8 model 0x8027 found, IO at
0x6800-0x681f, IRQ 12

If I type 'lsmod' at a command prompt the emu and soundcore modules are
listed even though sound has not been used at this stage although the CD_Rom
modules are not listed.  The sound modules are never unloaded by Root's
crontab (rmmod -a).  Sound works as expected.

If I unload the sound modules manually they do not show in the list produced
by lsmod but if I play a CD sound still works!!!

If I then type 'lsmod' while a CD is playing I see that the CD-Rom drivers
have been loaded automatically by kmod but that there are no sound modules
showing in the list.

I have checked my kernel configuration, sound is specified as (m)odule and
no other sound options are set as specified in the Emu readme.  I have,
today, recompiled the kernel and modules and installed the modules,
recompiled the Emu drivers and re-installed those.  No change.

The emu readme says to put the following in /etc/modutils/emu10k1:

	alias sound emu10k1
		or
	alias char-major-14 emu10k1

this is my emu10k1:

alias char-major-14 emu10k1
alias block-major-3 emu10k1

I discovered that without the block-major-3 emu10k sound wouldn't work.

I have now run out of ideas.  I'm mystified why sound should work whether or
not the sound/emu modules are loaded.

Synopsis:

Why do I get the above error messages?
Why do the sound modules load at boot before sound is accessed?
Why are the sound modules never unloaded by crontab?
Why does sound work without the sound modules being loaded.
Why didn't I just stick with OS/2?
Why don't I just retire and forget about computers?

Barry Samuels