Re: Recommended File and User sharing between Debian systems?

Quoting Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net):
> On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 04:02:19AM +0200, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> >
> > I'm also using mutt with nfs mounted home and the mailbox option.
> > It works fine with the following mount options:
> > rsize=8192,wsize=8192,retry=1,hard,intr,actimeo=3,bg,retrans=1
> >
> >  I think the actimeo=3 is the one solving your problem. With default
> > settings nfs caches file/dir information up to 60 seconds. (--> man
> > nfs)
>
> thanks for the tip, unfortunatly it does not work for me, mutt still
> runs around chasing its tail...  also when i run mutt on the server it
> still sees new mail in the empty mailboxes till i change to them at
> least once, then it no longer sees phantom new mail.  its as if some
> sort of update never occurs over NFS..

AIUI mutt uses the relative times of access and modify to determine
whether there is new mail. If modify is later than access, you have
new mail. If you read this mail and don't update access, you still
have new mail.

How does this bite me? Well, I have version numbers on my mailbox
names so I can play with all but the active set that procmail and
mutt know about. When I update the version number, I have to touch
all the new mailboxes. Otherwise, when procmail has only delivered
once to a mailbox, the access (=creation) and modify times are the
same and mutt sees no new mail. The problem goes away if procmail
delivers again.

Cheers,