Recommended File and User sharing between Debian systems?

Hey all.

I've got another machine added to my network (Old 486, 12MB Ram. Debian went on OK, but the kmod (i think) errors on boot went on for ever), and I'm wondering what the "best" (if there is such a thing) way of sharing users and shares between computers?

I've read a lot of bad press about NFS, so I'm curious about Coda. Right now I'm using SMBFS, but I'd prefer to use a native linux system, if there's a better one to use.

Also, I'm wondering about NIS, but I've got no experience with that at all.

Thanks!
Adam
Toronto, Ontario, Canada