Re: Recommended File and User sharing between Debian systems?

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 05:44:13PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> one problem i have had with NFS (kernel space nfsd) with exported
> /home is mutt.  i use mutt's mailboxes feature which lets me know when
> new mail is delivered into a mailbox (say in-debian-user) then i only
> have to hit `c' to change to that mailbox, read the mail and hit `c'
> again to switch to the next mailbox with new mail.  the problem is
> with NFS mounted /home (where ~/Mail and all my in-* mailboxes are)
> once new mail has been noticed by mutt in a mailbox it always thinks
> there is new mail there, even when i delete all of it and the mailbox
> is empty, this causes mutt to simply go in circles when i change
> mailboxes, new mail in foo -> new mail in bar -> new mail in foo... i
> have not found a solution to this other then sshing into the server
> and use mutt there.

I'm also using mutt with nfs mounted home and the mailbox option.
It works fine with the following mount options:
rsize=8192,wsize=8192,retry=1,hard,intr,actimeo=3,bg,retrans=1

I think the actimeo=3 is the one solving your problem. With default settings nfs caches file/dir information up to 60 seconds. (--> man nfs)

> > Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> i would say what your looking for is NFS for file sharing, just read
> up on it and do what you can to maintain security.

There is nothing I can add.

-ff

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------