Re: Selt-built kernel - complaints about modules!

Quoting Sven Burgener (svenb@bluewin.ch):

> modprobe gets called to load all modules in /etc/modules, which looks
> like this on my system now:
>
> binfmt_aout
> binfmt_misc
> nfs
> nfsd
> smbfs
> vfat
> pcnet32
> ppp
> sg
>
> Now, I have compiled all of these directly into my kernel, so that I am
> left with only one module:

> Question: I am now wondering whether the modules listed in /etc/modules
> can all be ignored and thus commented out?

Yes.

> I think these came from the original setup when installing the system.
> During the installation you are prompted about which modules to load. The
> installer then tries to load them and tells about success of doing so.
> Remember?
> I am quite sure about this because these are the modules I said to load
> when installing this potato box.

> A consistent setup is always nice.

Yes, one thing the kernel-package does not seem to address is
/etc/modules. So you've guessed right and done the right thing.

Nowadays, the only thing I ever load on installation is my network
card, and that stays there (i.e. in /etc/modules) when I build my
own kernel.

Cheers,