Re: stymied by Deb, went FreeBSD instead

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 12:26:41PM -0700, Greg Strockbine. wrote:
> I have a 14 gig drive I wanted to devote entirely to Debian Linux or
> FreeBSD.
>
> I made the Deb boot floppies, booted up, and got stymied at the
> Partition hard disk step in `cfdisk'.
>
> It showed me the whole disk, which at the time had FreeBSD 3.1 on it.
>
> I figured I needed partitions for
>     root  = 100 Mb
>     swap  = 512 Mb
>     /usr  = rest of disk

Read the installation instructions.  From your statements above and
below (largely deleted), you're trying to steamroll through a process
you haven't read up on.  That's going to hurt.

There are a couple of really good books for running a Debian install.
_Learning Debian GNU/Linux_ published by O'Reilly, freely available from
their website.  There's also a SAMS book, forget the title (gave it to a
friend), which has a nice walk-through -- better IMO than the O'Reilly.

Linux and *BSD have different ideas on how you set up a disk.  Under
Linux, filesystems exist within partitions.  BSD adds the concept of a
disklabel which needs to be edited, which lies within the BSD partition
itself.

Posting your partition table:

    $ fdisk -l /dev/hda 	# change device as appropriate

...would be helpful.

> Gave up. Went over to FreeBSD, made 2 floppies, followed steps, defaults
> for everything including partitioning.  Started a network install, went
> to bed, woke up and rebooted into FreeBSD 4.1.

Cool, you got what you wanted.

Write back if you want to try out Debian again, after you read the docs.