Re: stymied by Deb, went FreeBSD instead

ACK I accidentally sent that last reply before I finished it, my
apologies.  Here's the rest of what I meant to say..

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 12:26:41PM -0700, Greg Strockbine. wrote:

> plus in the install manual for Debian 2.2, it
> says you probably will need 2-3 gigs for /var
> so you can do an `apt' update in the future.
> what's that all about??

Apt is a nice program for installing and upgrading packages.  It
automatically handles dependencies for you.  When you install packages
with apt-get, any packages you need are first downloaded into
/var/cache/apt/archive and then from there they get installed.

If you keep lots of packages in that directory without deleting them, it
can easily get huge.  Running "apt-get clean" will clear it and free up
disk space though.

But it's good to keep /var a decent size for when you do a major
upgrade, because you could easily end up getting dozens of packages
upgraded in one apt-get dist-upgrade command..

Tom