stymied by Deb, went FreeBSD instead

I have a 14 gig drive I wanted to devote
entirely to Debian Linux or FreeBSD.

I made the Deb boot floppies, booted up,
and got stymied at the Partition hard disk
step in `cfdisk'.

It showed me the whole disk, which at the time
had FreeBSD 3.1 on it.

I figured I needed partitions for
root  = 100 Mb
swap  = 512 Mb
/usr  = rest of disk

so.... I couldn't figure out how to size the
partition.  Did I need to make a Linux Partition
first, then size that.  And why does the Linux
Swap partition appear as a seperate entity in
cfdisk->type list?

Gave up. Went over to FreeBSD, made 2 floppies, followed
steps, defaults for everything including partitioning.
Started a network install, went to
bed, woke up and rebooted into FreeBSD 4.1.

with Debian I couldn't figure out how to go.
I copied a bunch of files onto a DOS partition on
a second drive in my machine, not the one I wanted
Linux installed on.  Got confused.

Then decided to make a CD-image, but never finished.

Then while scanning the documentation,
found something that said you could do a network
install and you only needed 2 floppies.  But then
I thought I remembered reading on the mail list
that its not supported.

plus in the install manual for Debian 2.2, it
says you probably will need 2-3 gigs for /var
so you can do an `apt' update in the future.
what's that all about??

After all this, I'm still interested in installing
Debian Linux.  I guess I just need to experiment more.

hmmm.... I have partition magic 4.x, and it lets me
created a Linux extended partition - what's that?
Can I use that?

running out of midnight oil
- greg strockbine