Re: Problem with swapping - computer crash.

Dear

> > I would like to know that. Must it be that system crashes or that
> > it denies every use of my computer?
>
> At first, nothing. But when a daemon or other running program tries to malloc
> some memory, will die horribly because 'memory exhausted' errors are fatal ones,
> and the program can do nothing but exit. And when this happens to vital programs
> like syslogd, getty or init you don't have much choice.
> One solution could be enforcing some user limits with PAM. This way only
> processes owned by you will be at risk.

OK. Thanks. I will limit myself properly.

Yes I got those "exhausted" errors. I also have found *.emerg: * in syslog,
which I think blocked all possible consoles with emergency messages like
"cannot find free page" or something.

So, kernel couldnt swap and starts telling me that. Now at least, I hope,
next time I can get one free console and kill those big programs, before
restarting.

Sincerely,
Marko Cehaja