Re: netscape security hole

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 08:05:35PM +0200, Marko Cehaja wrote:
> Debian is kind of free-OS, with strong points on security as well.
> If Netscape *would* exist in Debian, you would almost immediately find the
> security alert on Debian site, first page.

Netscape *is* packaged for Debian. Watch this:

# dpkg -p netscape
Package: netscape
Section: contrib/web
Installed-Size: 44
Maintainer: Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: netscape4.base
Version: 1:4.73-32
Depends: communicator | navigator
Conflicts: netscape-base-406, netscape-base-407, netscape-base-408, netscape-base-45, netscape-base-451, netscape-base-46, netscape-base-461, netscape-base-47, netscape-base-472
Filename: dists/frozen/contrib/binary-i386/web/netscape_4.73-32.deb
Size: 7996
MD5sum: 769fe6aa7f9539a26e5894e1a4af7a97
 This package depends on the real netscape packages, so as to
 make things easier for people to install.
meta-package: yes

> I am not sure if you follow. Netscape isn't part of Debian. You have to
> get Netscape from third party company.

The above reveals that Netscape is in the contrib/web section of Debian
GNU/Linux, though.

> It is up on you as system administrator to know what kind of software you
> install on computer anyway.

Sure.
--
You know you're a Linux geek when...
	you keep track of your highest uptime, and try to break your record.