Re: Linux Newbie!! Help!!!!! 2

Hello!

> Thanks for your help!!!  Everything went fine, except when I did "make
> zdisk".  I got an erorr message saying that my system was too big and I
> should do make bzImage or make modules.  Does this affect anything?  I
still
> couldn't make my sound card to work.  Is there anything else I should do?

Yes. Make bzdisk/bzImage/bzlilo instead, because this produces a better
compressed and therefore smaller kernel. If the kernel is too large, it
cannot be installed and so your sound card cannot work. Or put some drivers
into modules. You should enable the kernel module autoloader in the make
menuconfig-config menu :-), so the kernel loads the drivers you need
automatically.

But if you're a newbie, I'd recommend you to compile support for all devices
directly into the kernel.

Two reasons come to my mind which could be the cause for the not-function of
your soundcard:

- You have configured the IRQs/DMAs/IO ports in a wrong way (see soundcard
manual)
- But now, as zimage did not work, I think you are not really booting your
new kernel, but the old one instead.

I think it's not good to make bzimage or zimage for a newbie, because it
requires a manual kernel install to work. There are two other choices which
are easier, they compile the kernel AND install it:

I agree with Kent that creating a bootdisk at first and testing the kernel
is safer. You can do this by make bzdisk (or make zdisk if the kernel is
very small, but probably it does not work.).
When you see that your machine is booting up ok from the disk (be sure that
you have configured the bootup sequence a: c: in your BIOS!), then I'd
recommend make bzlilo, so that your kernel is automatically configured for
booting from the HDD.

Note that you always need make dep before the bz... and make modules, make
modules_install after it.

Kind Regards,

Stephan Hachinger