Re: Journaling file system

> Does anyone know if there is a workable journaling file system for
> Debian yet?

 * reiserfs - it's a mostly-journalling file system, and should be quite
   stable (can't quite bring myself to use it on my own systems.  Some on
   debian-user have used with with good success, however).
 * ext3 - full journalling extensions onto ext2.  It's been used to good
   effect on some high-volume sites (www.rpmfind.net for one).  Sadly, the
   patches for 2.2.16 are RedHat- specific :(.  The patches for
   2.2.17preXX should be more generic.  I have the archive if you want it.
 * jfs - The journaling file system from IBM's AIX.  The patches are
   still very much alpha - don't even think about it if you're not running
   Linux on i386.  It reportedly works well, though.
 * xfs - The journaling file system from SGI's Irix.  Haven't heard how
   well it works.

Note that out of all of these, only reiserfs has been ported to the
2.4.0-testX series.

Even so, it's nice to have choices, isn't it :)

Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien