Re: 3c90x woes

On  1, aug, 2000 at 07:39:07 -0600, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> jbardin@imagelinks.com writes:
>
> > [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> > Gary Hennigan wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Also, you should seriously consider looking at the kernel-package
> > > package, in particular look at the make-kpkg utility. It makes using
> > > custom-compiled kernels in Debian MUCH easier to deal with.
> > >
> > > To use it you just do your "make <config|menuconfig|xconfig>" and then
> > > just invoke make-kpkg like:
> > >
> > > make-kpkg --revision 5:mypc.1 --bzimage kernel_image
> > >
> > > and you'll get a kernel_image*.deb file that you can install with
> > > dpkg. Install it, read the docs and feel free to post if you have any
> > > questions about it. Again, it's MUCH easier to handle custom kernels
> > > in Debian if you use it and it is the Debian Way (TM) to use and
> > > install custom kernels.
> > >
> > > Gary
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Man that isa really sweet way of dealing withthe kernel
> > compiling... am i to assume that you can keep backup copys of the
> > debs so that incaseof failure you can backtrack through your
> > different kernel versions... and what about having two kernel
> > versions and using lilo tochoose which one to boot.
>
> You just described exactly what I do. You can keep as many of the
> kernel_image*.deb files as you want. And install as many of them as
> you want. I don't think there's anything in Debian to automatically
> keep lilo.conf in line with all of this but you can always try it and
> find out. One thing I have no experience with is installing the same
> major kernel version multiple times. <snippped>

You can do that, but it seems the old image is overwritten, sp move it
to some other name, and put it in lilo.conf as backup.

It was a great tip, I have tried before, but couldn't make head nor
tails of the docs ... but as allways, it's easy when you know how!!!

HAND
	Morten

--
UNIX, reach out and grep someone!