Re: 3c90x woes

Gary Hennigan wrote:

> "Gary Hennigan" <glhenni@sandia.gov> writes:
> > "Raphael Crawford-Marks" <raphaelc@squaretrade.com> writes:
> > > ok so I patched the kernel successfully and went through make config and
> > > make dep just fine.
> > >
> > > when I do make bzImage (also tried zImage, zdisk, and bzdisk) everything
> > > works fine until it gets to the very end:
> > >
> > > as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
> > > make[1]: as86: Command not found
> > >
> > > I've never heard of as86...couldn't find any packages by that name either.
> > >
> > > Any further help would be much appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Raphael
> >
> > You need to install the bin86 package:
> >
> > apt-get install bin86
>
> Also, you should seriously consider looking at the kernel-package
> package, in particular look at the make-kpkg utility. It makes using
> custom-compiled kernels in Debian MUCH easier to deal with.
>
> To use it you just do your "make <config|menuconfig|xconfig>" and then
> just invoke make-kpkg like:
>
> make-kpkg --revision 5:mypc.1 --bzimage kernel_image
>
> and you'll get a kernel_image*.deb file that you can install with
> dpkg. Install it, read the docs and feel free to post if you have any
> questions about it. Again, it's MUCH easier to handle custom kernels
> in Debian if you use it and it is the Debian Way (TM) to use and
> install custom kernels.
>
> Gary
>
> --

Man that isa really sweet way of dealing withthe kernel compiling... am i to assume
that you can keep backup copys of the debs so that incaseof failure you can backtrack
through your different kernel versions... and what about having two kernel versions
and using lilo tochoose which one to boot.
begin:vcard
n:Bardin;Jon
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1