Re: current Redhat user evaluates Debian

"John L. Fjellstad" <john@fjellstad.org> writes:

> it doesn't matter if you have it compiled/installed.  modprobe will
> automagically load it into memory when you need it.  Not sure why
> the installation said you could damage(?)/mess up the installation
> if you installed a module for a hardware device you don't have.

In very few and bad cases this is possible. Imagine you install a SCSI
driver and somehow it thinks there really is a SCSI device and you go
on and you try to install on that not really existing SCSI
device. BOOM.

In most cases there are no problems.

> I don't know, still getting used to it. What I really liked from
> RedHat is that they moved all the startup files into a subdirectory
> of /etc/rc.d.  Debian (at least 2.1) is using the Solaris style,
> i.e. /etc/rc?.d

What's the problem? All scripts goes in /etc/init.d and in /etc/rc?.d
are Symlinks. This way it's also done by RedHat, but they do it in
/etc/rc.d/init.d and /etc/rc.d/rc?.d (IIRC).

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.