Re: current Redhat user evaluates Debian

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 02:35:11PM -0400, Michael Soulier wrote:

> 	Well, Debian doesn't typically install as easily as RedHat.

Actually, I installed Debian on a vmware virtual disk, and didn't really
have any problems.  In fact, found the disk partitioning utility much
easier to use than fdisk that RedHat use (not that fdisk is that bad).

And dselect is a really interesting utility, especially the ability to
configure the packages after installation.

The only thing during installation that was kind of weird was the
questions about modules. My understanding of modules in Linux is that
it doesn't matter if you have it compiled/installed.  modprobe will
automagically load it into memory when you need it.  Not sure why
the installation said you could damage(?)/mess up the installation
if you installed a module for a hardware device you don't have.

> 4. The organization of the file system in Debian is superior,

I don't know, still getting used to it. What I really liked from
RedHat is that they moved all the startup files into a subdirectory
of /etc/rc.d.  Debian (at least 2.1) is using the Solaris style,
i.e. /etc/rc?.d

--
email: john@fjellstad.org                   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes