Re: t-dsl

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 09:16:32AM +0200, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:12:18 +0200, Robert Waldner wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 22:04:45 -0300, Linux Newbie writes:
> >>	This may sound like a silly question, but what is the
> >>use/purpose of PPP over Ethernet? Why is it better than setting up a
> >>connection with ifconfig eth0?
> >
> >Afaik Deutsche Telekom uses PPPoE for authentication/billing purposes,
> >so he may not have the choice...
>
> That's right, as do lots of ISP's around the world...

This sounds like something to look out for when choosing an ISP (not
that everyone has the choice, of course).  Also, some offer static IPs
with DSL while others do not (or charge outrageous amounts for them).

I was pleasantly surprised that all I had to do to configure my DSL
connection was to use one ifconfig and one route statement.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen