Re: current Redhat user evaluates Debian

"John L. Fjellstad" <john@fjellstad.org> writes:

> And dselect is a really interesting utility, especially the ability
> to configure the packages after installation.

You can do that even _before_ installation now with potato for many
packages.

> The only thing during installation that was kind of weird was the
> questions about modules. My understanding of modules in Linux is
> that it doesn't matter if you have it compiled/installed.  modprobe
> will automagically load it into memory when you need it.  Not sure
> why the installation said you could damage(?)/mess up the
> installation if you installed a module for a hardware device you
> don't have.

Don't know about damaging or messing anything up, but certain modules
may have to loaded during the boot.  That is before modprobe can run.
These modules you will have to `install' during installation.  On one
of my machines I had to configure the eepro100 module.  If I didn't,
the whole network configuration just never happened and all network
services would be dead.

Just install without any modules if you can get away with it.  Chances
are you can.  If you need to install modules later use modconf.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development