Re: kerneld message / Workaround

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 11:51:06AM +0100, Jonathan Heaney wrote:
> David Wright wrote:
> > The scripts /etc/init.d/{kerneld,modutils} have to be able to handle
> > both 2.0 and 2.2 kernels with kerneld or kmod. You will see they do
> > this by testing for the presence of /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe which
> > only exists under 2.2.

But doesn't -always- exist on 2.2:

[narvi:/etc/init.d] 11:26:37am 136 % ls -l /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
ls: /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe: No such file or directory
[narvi:/etc/init.d] 11:26:39am 137 % uname -a
Linux narvi 2.2.16 #6 Fri Jun 23 13:51:08 PDT 2000 i686 unknown

You need to have 'CONFIG_KMOD' set in your kernel build to have it,
which I don't.

Seems to me that the logic on that is broken.  /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
is not a good way to determine whether kerneld should be run.

Perhaps you should file a bug on it?

> > Perhaps you have a problem with your /proc filesystem (unless a bug
> > has been introduced into these scripts). There should be no need to
> > move/remove the scripts in /etc/init.d.
>
> Well if there is such a bug it's been there since potato day1 and still
> is.  Incidentally, does the presence of /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe not
> depend on what you compile in the kernel???  I always roll my own and
> any time I've installed potato with a 2.2 kernel I've had to shift
> kerneld.  Maybe if you stick with Debians own kernels it might be there
> but not everyone does.

It does.  See above.

> And what about 2.4test kernels (that I'm running) ?  I don't have a
> /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe - what should I do?????  How do the magic
> scripts in /etc/init.d deal with that????

They run kerneld.  Wrongly.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting