Re: kerneld message / Workaround

David Wright wrote:
> The scripts /etc/init.d/{kerneld,modutils} have to be able to handle
> both 2.0 and 2.2 kernels with kerneld or kmod. You will see they do
> this by testing for the presence of /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe which
> only exists under 2.2.
>
> Perhaps you have a problem with your /proc filesystem (unless a bug
> has been introduced into these scripts). There should be no need to
> move/remove the scripts in /etc/init.d.

Well if there is such a bug it's been there since potato day1 and still
is.  Incidentally, does the presence of /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe not
depend on what you compile in the kernel???  I always roll my own and
any time I've installed potato with a 2.2 kernel I've had to shift
kerneld.  Maybe if you stick with Debians own kernels it might be there
but not everyone does.

And what about 2.4test kernels (that I'm running) ?  I don't have a
/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe - what should I do?????  How do the magic
scripts in /etc/init.d deal with that????