Re: software watchdog

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 19:33:25 EDT, paul writes:
>> My home-debian-box starts to behave rather odd lately, now and then it
>> will freeze completely.
>>
>Is there anything consistent about the behavior?  How long between reboot
>and freeze?  Are there any error messages during startup?  What
>applications are running when the machine freezes?  (my bet is netscape)
>What Debian version are you running (Slink, Potato)?  What kernel version
>are you running?  Have you tried telneting to the machine to see if it is
>a console only problem?  Is the behavior in ANY way predictable? More info
>is necessary if anyone is to be able to help.

The box is running slink, with all packages, except the kernel and
 samba, "apt-get upgrade"´d to potato. Uptime is between 30 min and 5
 days, I´m running X w/ fvwm95, setiathome in the background and, when
 I´m home, netscrap _may_ run. The system is IDE with a SCSI-streamer
 and -CD-recorder on a ASUS P54C-mobo with 4x16 MB FP-RAM and a Matrox
 Mystique as gfx card. 3 PCI-ethernet-cards, one ISA, and a SB16.

Problem is that I can´t find any similarities between the hangs, the
 box can run ok for a few days, burning CDs, ripping and encoding mp3s,
 looking for ETs ;-), and doing ~1k mails per day, and at 3 am
 (according to my ping stats from outside) it´ll freeze. Since the
 connection to the outside is via PPTP, which hangs too, I can´t reach
 it anymore, although it answers to ICMP from local networks. but I
 can´t even get a TCP connection open (it sends nothing back, not even
 a syn_ack).

The box is running as-is now for about a year, but is ~3 years old, so
 I guess it´s simply getting old. Cheap hardware isn´t built for
 running a 24/7 server, I guess.

It shouldn´t get too hot, since I already underclocked it from 66/2.5 to
 60/2 and I´m having 2 extra fans, one cooling the PCI and ISA cards,
 one cooling RAM. Also it sometimes freezes when loaded, sometimes when
 idling (I´ve disabled setiathome for testing).

But that´s not the real problem, I´ll simply get a new used PC (used
 P1´s are for sale at about $ 100) when I´m back from the trip, what I
 need for the time being is a solution where it would simply reboot
 when having trouble, and I _guess_ the software watchdog _may_ be what
 I´m looking for in this case.

tia,
&rw