Re: Kernel question

Walter Williams wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have subscribed to this list server to find
> out more about non-Red Hat derivatives.
> Is the Debian distribution of the type that I
> can,  when I want to update the kernel,
> download a complete kernel tar ball or a patch
> file from what ever web site I choose, install it,
> and have things function properly?

Sure can.  Fact is , that's how I been doing it.  There's also the "proper
Debian" method, called make-kpkg.  If you go that route, make *sure* to add
the epoch to the version number, or you'll wind up with the package
management system trying to replace your kernel at some point.

> The last coupe of times I did this to my current
> distro things went a muck. Fortunate for me I
> saved my current kernel and was able to boot
> from it. I didn't have too much problems with
> previous distro when I built custom kernels
> with it. I was able to get a kernel update from
> anywhere and go to town with it.
>
> I am basically "shopping" for a new distro.

Yeah, I've dealt with RedHat a couple of times.  I put it onto my laptop,
where it lasted all of about an hour before I got rid of it and went back to
Debian.  I find the package management under Debian - using apt - to be
*much* easier than dealing with rpm's.  apt also has far better dependancy
handling than what I saw with RedHat.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
                              |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"
'91 GS500E                    |
Morgantown WV                 |  Only dead fish go with the flow.